Gansevoort-Bellamy Historic District
James Street Park
Photos courteous of The Rome Historical Society
Check out these photos from our friends at the Rome Historical Society of how the parks have evolved over the years!
The Gansevoort-Bellamy Historic District is home of Veterans and Gansevoort Parks, is centrally located on North James Street in downtown Rome. For the purpose of this project, it will be referred to as James Street Park.
The park served as a public space since the City of Rome was incorporated in 1870. The park was originally designed and constructed with two primary pathways: one running from the northwest corner to the southeast corner of present-day Veterans Park and the other running from the northeast corner to the southwest corner of present-day Gansevoort Park.
However, significant alterations of hardscapes, monuments, and landscaping have taken place throughout the last century. The City of Rome has teamed up with Bergmann Associates of Rochester, New York to develop and introduce two conceptual alternatives of park improvements and solicit feedback from the public to better improve them. The survey can be completed by clicking the link in the box to your right.
Improve accessibility and usability of the parks;
Enhance park aesthetics and overall quality;
Improve the vibrancy and public enjoyment of the parks;
Celebrate the history of the City of Rome, the Park, the District, and the community; and,
Restore historic features, where possible, and retain existing monuments as focal points